Long history began when the St. George’s Vestry donated land to construct a substantial two storey stone house on the site. The house served as a mess for British troops during the American Revolution and was the home of Captain Thomas Hurd when he surveyed the waters around Bermuda in the 1790s. In the 1800s Walter Stennett used the property as a hotel, tavern and coffee house. Thereafter, the building returned to a private residence and hotel.
The building is now owned by the Bank of N.T. Butterfield and houses their St. George’s branch (opened in 1940).